calendar-navigation-icon    
event registration      
onlinegiving      
onlinesermons      
thetydingsnews      
musicseriesnavigation      
campwakonda-navigation      
contactus      
kids actvites      
youth activities    
orderofworship
westminstrpodcasts


 


 



 

Our History

 

Blank-Image-small churchrendering The founding of the city of Canton and Christ Presbyterian Church are closely interwoven.  When in 1805 Canton was laid out by Bezaleel Wells, four blocks of ground were designated for public purposes: "For a cemetery, for a school, for a Court House, and for a House of Worship."  This House of Worship is now Christ Presbyterian Church.  The lot was occupied in 1810 by two congregations and alternately used by the Reformed and the Lutherans; the Reformed church is what we now know as the Presbyterian church.

The actual organization of our church took place in 1821, under the name of The First Presbyterian Church of Canton.  The original building was erected in 1833.
Blank-Image-small
 
Construction of the present stone building was begun in 1868, and completed in 1871.  Even though the building was unfinished, the wedding of Ida Saxton and our future President William McKinley was held here in January of 1871.  In October of 1961 the church was re-named to Christ United Presbyterian Church of Canton.  The present name of Christ Presbyterian Church was chartered in May 1984. history
Blank-Image-small construction Additions were made in 1911 and 1951.  The building features buttresses, rusticated stone walls, and Gothic windows of the original building.  Twin towers with battlements flank the front entrance.  The windows were changed in 1952 and replaced with stained glass windows imported from England, depicting scenes in Jesus' life and of the great reformers.

 

Empowered by Extend, a church software solution from